Monday, January 9, 2017

where does motivation really come from? + a mention of self-efficacy

They say that if you want something bad enough, you'll do anything for it. But is that necessarily true?

There are things that I have wanted so, so bad, since I was a child. Number one is to sing. I want to sing more than I want anything else. But I don't chase it like it's the cure for some life threatening disease I have or something. Isn't that what you're supposed to do? I still wonder why I'm not. I wonder if I actually want it bad enough. Isn't that want (or really, that need) for something supposed to be all the motivation you need to chase after it? I'm not so sure anymore.

I think that motivation to chase after your dreams is ignited and stoked by your want (or even need) to have them come true. However, I think the real power behind them comes from a belief in yourself that you can actually achieve them. My favorite psychologist, Albert Bandura, has this theory about self-efficacy, which is an individual's belief in their ability to do something. Bandura has found that self-efficacy determines what people actually achieve; if someone thinks they can do something, they can (and will). If they think they can't do it, they can't (and won't).

When it comes to me, my self-efficacy is pretty low. I don't really believe in myself. I believe in my talent, but I don't have enough confidence to sing in front of other people and I don't believe that I can actually make it in the music industry. I just don't believe it can happen. I dream about it all day, every day, but I'm not actually confident that I can. I think that's what's stopping me right now.

It might be what's stopping you, too.

What is your dream? Does your self-efficacy line up with it?

Talk to you soon!

NYE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe!