Friday, January 6, 2017

milk and honey + the get down + chasing ya dreams

Hey! It's 2:45 AM at the time I'm writing this. Pretty late, huh?

Have any of you heard of that book Milk and Honey? It's a poetry book I think. I keep hearing about it over and over again and seeing it pop up places. I guess I should give it a read, yeah? What do you think? Do you recommend it? From what I've seen of it, it seems especially relevant to twenty-somethings trying to navigate relationships while still navigating their own identities...is that in any way accurate?

On another note, have any of you watched The Get Down on Netflix? I just watched the first episode tonight and it was great! I loved it so much! It totally makes me wish I grew up in New York City in the 70's. The fashion, the music, the attitudes, the culture...I'd honestly love to experience a world before the internet and stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love technology and I feel blessed to be the first generation to grow up with it...but there's just something about the idea of a world where everything isn't at your fingertips, you know? Does anyone agree? No? Okay, on with The Get Down, then.

I highly, highly recommend it (although I'm only one episode in. I'm pretty confident it's gonna be great). Mylene's passion and determination to sing really inspired me, because I love to sing and it is my dream to sing one day and make music that affects people, that makes them feel something, that makes them think. I want to have an impact through my art, and The Get Down reminded me of how hard I need to work to make that happen.

It's scary though, you know? Putting yourself out there like that? I think for me, singing is incredibly intimate. I have to be totally comfortable to sing around someone. I can't sing at all if I'm nervous in any way; for some reason, the sound just can't come out right. That's why I've been putting my dreams off...but it's pretty ridiculous to put your dreams off if they're everything you've ever wanted, right? Singing means everything to me, so I have to do it now. I just have to find a way to push through that stage fright. I also have to figure out how I'm gonna break into the music scene and get noticed, but that's another story for another blog post.

Alright everyone. I'm going to sign off and finally go to sleep. I'll catch you later! Don't forget, my contact info is on my about page. Don't forget to subscribe below. Talk to ya soon!

NYE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe!